macOS Installation Guide
- You will need brew.sh installed in your mac. Get it from https://brew.sh
- This guide assumes you have a decent understanding of the macOS Terminal environment and are comfortable with the command line.
- This guide also assumes you will be installing Crafty into
- We also assume your server will be at
- We also assume the user account running crafty will have full read/write/execute permissions on these folders.
- Finally this guide assumes you have the following software installed and up to date: Git, Python 3.9+.
NOTE: You will need to install Java before starting any Minecraft servers.
Install host dependancies
macOS lacks a proper package manager and in order to install a couple of the required software via the command line you will need Brew.sh.
Go to your
/Applications/Utilities and launch Terminal.app
- or -
Press Cmd+Space and type Terminal.app and hit Enter
The command above runs and you will see the installation progress. It will inform you that the Command Line Tools for Xcode will get installed.
Towards the end you will be asked to enter your then the installation will continue.
You will be notified when Brew begins downloading the Command Line Tools for Xcode and depending on your connection the download will take about 5 minutes. Once the tools have downloaded, they will install on your mac and the installation of Brew will be completed. 🎉
Adding brew to path!
Once the download and install are complete brew will list 3 commands you need to enter to add homebrew to
Those commands will look something like this:
Git, Java and Python 3.9+
brew caskis an extension to brew that allows management of graphical applications through the Cask project.
--caskoffers a way to command line manage the installation of graphical applications.
Create a directory for Crafty
- For Example If your username on your mac is Totoro then the
command will be:
sudo chown -R totoro:admin /var/opt/minecraft/crafty
Clone the Crafty Repository
Please be sure to be in
/var/opt/minecraft/crafty folder before cloning the repo.
To check type 'pwd' and make sure it says '/var/opt/minecraft/crafty' before you continue.
Create a Virtual Environment
- We prefix a
.to the name of the
virtual environmentbecause in a Linux/Unix context it makes that the file or directory hidden, you cannot see it in the file explorer (
ls) unless the
-aflag is provided.
Activate the Virtual Environment
- You know when you're in your virtual environment because your prompt will change to include
Install Crafty's package dependancies
Make sure you're still in your
venv and in the
To check type 'pwd' and make sure it says '/var/opt/minecraft/crafty/crafty-4' before you continue.
Make sure to stop Crafty before updating
In your Terminal window press Ctrl+C to stop Crafty
If you experience git telling you to commit or stash local changes and you have not made any changes
/var/opt/minecraft/crafty/crafty-4 directory, run the following:
Make sure to run the the following update commands after running this.
Great work, You're ready to proceed to the next step 🎉
How to access the dashboard